We posted an introduction to the latest updates coming to iOS recently and now it’s time for us to talk about Apple Watch.
Apple are releasing Watch OS7 later this year which has some long awaited updates. Let’s talk about these enhancements…
Before we get started, we are Apple Watch users and love the device. At the moment we use a digital watch face and use the watch to track our sleep by using a third party application. During the day, we try to keep our fitness levels pretty good by completing the rings on the activity features within the watch.
New in Watch OS7
- As expected, there are brand new watch faces coming with this update which show just how beautiful the device can be.
- There are various new complications (sections which can be added to a watch face) which truly take advantage of the features this update brings.
- Face Sharing – You can now share your watch face with friends through messaging applications. The recipient can tap on the watch face and instantly apply it as their watch face.
- You’ll also be able to find custom watch faces in the app store and even on websites. For example, let’s say Nike develop a custom watch face for their running app. You can apply this directly from their website if they choose to publish it there.
Note at the top of this post we mentioned using third party sleep tracking apps at the moment. We’ve had to do this as Apple didn’t have their own sleep tracking app which came with the watch. Until now…
- Sleep Mode – When you go to bed, your watch automatically enters Do Not Disturb and stops the screen from waking.
- Sleep Tracking – Apple watch uses its built in accelerometer to detect a sleeping and awake state.
- Sleep Chart – See a sleep analysis chart every morning to show you how much you’ve slept over the past week.
- Alerts – Get alerts when it’s bedtime and more wake-up alarm sounds.
- Wind Down – This helps you establish a bed time routine which will settle you in time for going to sleep.
- Wake Up – Receive a weather report and your battery status when you wake up. Should you get up before your alarm, you will be asked if you want to turn it off.
- Charge and recharge – If your battery is below 30% near bed time, you will get a reminder to charge it. If you charge it after waking up, you will get an iPhone notification when you’re at 100%.
- The Activity app has been renamed to Fitness.
- There are more work out types available including the ability to track dance as a workout.
- The Fitness app has been redesigned slightly to show you data on a single page. You will still recognise the icon for it though as that remains unchanged.
- Compete & Share – You can still compete with friends and now view all of your challenges in the one place within the Fitness app.
- As with the iOS update, Apple Maps has continued it’s new cycling feature on the Apple Watch.
- Cycling includes bike-friendly routes and the ability to search along your route.
- You also get route options which gives you the best route to take.
- Apple Maps will also alert you if there are stairs in your route so you know which ones to avoid.
- Apple Watch now detects when you’re watching your hands and shows a timer to ensure you’re washing them for 20 seconds. Pretty relevant in the current times.
- Apple Watch can also remind you to wash your hands as you get home.
There are also more updates coming to Apple Watch including Siri and hearing health improvements.
WatchOS 7 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models:
- Apple Watch Series 3
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
This update is due to arrive on Apple Watch this Fall – which is round about September.