Ok so we’re not talking about the next Facebook but did you know that it’s possible to create your own social networking site without spending a penny?
Have you ever heard of BuddyPress? Do you recognise the ‘Press’ in the title? BuddyPress is a plugin for WordPress which adds various features allowing your users to connect with each other.
It’s pretty easy to set up! Let’s talk about the features and benefits of using BuddyPress and then I’ll direct you to my video showing you the installation and set up of the plugin.
Features & Benefits
- BuddyPress is a free plugin which means there is no cost to install and use the plugin on your WordPress site.
- It comes with powerful social features which you may recognise:
- Activity Streams
- Private Messaging
- & more…
- BuddyPress works with most WordPress themes. If you buy a custom theme or use one that isn’t as well known, you may need to tweak the appearance but for most themes, this won’t be necessary.
- Compliant with GDPR.
- BuddyPress can also integrate with other plugins out there. You will find plugins in the WordPress repository which have been built to work with BuddyPress.
- Responsive meaning that users can use it on mobile devices.
To summarise, BuddyPress is a free social networking plugin for WordPress. Installing this plugin will give you a suite of social features allowing users to connect on your website.
The video tutorial below (from Chris Suggests – another website we own) shows how to create a site with WordPress and BuddyPress.
Let us know if you have any questions!